News
Trulli
A United Eco-Skies 737 on approach into Las Vegas. (Photo: AirlineGeeks | William Derrickson)

United Reveals Partnership With Sustainable Fuel Business Venture

The aviation industry is often misportrayed as a major contributor to air pollution, although global travel contributes approximately 2% of CO2 emissions, but is still defined as not environmentally friendly or sustainable, within itself. The largest, prominent issue facing airlines right now is the continuation of using traditional fossil fuels, which can be costly for the carrier and the environment. However, technological advancements and scientific research trends are causing the industry to undertake a huge transformation and shift towards an…

Airline Alliances Through Equity Stakes: Is the Business Model Dead?

In 2014, Etihad Airways introduced its own global alliance with the aim of linking several of its major airline investments to drive an improved global network and enhanced scheduling. Equipped with equity stakes in struggling airlines such as Air Berlin in Germany and Jet Airways in India, Etihad hoped that…

Qatar Airways Increases Stake in IAG to Over 25 Percent

Qatar Airways has increased its stake in International Airlines Group (IAG) from 21.4 percent to 25.1 percent with a $600m buy-up. The move comes a little over a week after Air Italy which Qatar Airways had a 49 percent stake in ceased operations. In announcing the increased shareholding Qatar Airways…

U.S. Fund Makes Major Investment in Latin America’s Viva Air

U.S. investment firm Cartesian Capital Group has injected $50 million into Latin American low-cost carrier Viva Air, a subsidiary of low-cost developer Irelandia with bases in Colombia and Peru. The investment will help Irelandia's Latin American venture finance its fierce regional expansion plans, including setting up a base in a…

Another Gulf Carrier Backing: Qatar Airways Invests in Italy’s Meridiana

The state-owned flag carrier based in Doha, Qatar Airways, announced that it has finalized a deal with Sardinia-based airline Meridiana, to purchase a 49 percent stake in the Italian carrier, while Meridiana's parent company will retain the other 51 percent of the airline. Meridiana, which operates a small fleet of…