< Reveal sidebar

Boeing, Adient Form Joint Venture for Airplane Seating

Boeing’s first 737 MAX testbed aircraft arrives at Boeing Field following its first flight (Photo: AirlineGeeks | Ryan Krautkremer)

On Tuesday, aircraft manufacturing giant Boeing and automotive seating company Adient formed Adient Aerospace, a joint venture that will focus on designing, manufacturing and selling seating products to airlines and aircraft leasing companies.

“Seats have been a persistent challenge for our customers, the industry, and Boeing, and we are taking action to help address constraints in the market. Adient Aerospace will leverage Boeing’s industry leadership and deep understanding of customer needs and technical requirements, to provide a superior seating product for airlines and passengers around the world,” said Kevin Schemm, Boeing’s Senior Vice President of Supply Chain Management, Finance and Business Operations and Chief Financial Officer for Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

“This joint venture supports Boeing’s vertical integration strategy to develop in-house capabilities and depth in key areas to offer better products, grow services and generate higher lifecycle value,” Schemm added.

According to Boeing, Adient Aerospace’s headquarters and initial production plant will be located near Frankfurt, Germany, and the customer service center will be located in Seattle, WA.

”Adient has a strong set of transferable competencies that will offer a unique opportunity to create value for our company and for Boeing, our shareholders and the broader commercial aircraft market,” said Bruce McDonald, CEO and Chairman, Adient. “To enhance the customer experience for passengers, airlines and commercial airplane manufacturers, we will apply our unmatched expertise for comfort and craftsmanship along with our reputation for operational excellence.”

Adient is the majority stakeholder in the venture with a 50.01 percent share, with Boeing holding the remaining 49.99 percent. The two companies will receive proportionate shares of earnings and cash flow, and will both have representation on the board of directors.

AirlineGeeks.com Staff

Author

  • Ashley Magoon

    Ashley is currently a senior in high school and plans on pursuing a career in aviation or journalism. Her favorite airplanes include the Boeing 777, 737MAX, and Airbus A350. She enjoys taking flights on various airlines to different airports and planespotting at her local airports.

Subscribe to AirlineGeeks' Daily Check-In

Receive a daily dose of the airline industry's top stories along with market insights right in your inbox.

Related Stories

U.S. Airlines Push Back on China Flight Increases

Major U.S. airlines and various union groups are uniting together and asking authorities to stop approving any more flights between…

Airlines Amend Schedules to Avoid Iranian Airspace

Several airlines, including Air India, Qantas, and Lufthansa, are amending flight schedules and routes due to escalating tensions in the…

Qantas Pauses Nonstop London Flight Amid Middle East Tension

Qantas is rerouting its longest flight and the world's fourth-longest passenger route due to concerns about Iranian attacks in the…