< Reveal sidebar

Lufthansa Group Advances Sustainable Aviation With Green Fares On Long-Haul Flights

Lufthansa Group has introduced Green Fares for long-haul flights, aiming for CO2 neutrality by 2050 and promoting sustainable air travel.

Lufhtansa aircraft at Munich Airport. (Photo: AirlineGeeks | Fabian Behr)

The Lufthansa Group is taking a significant step towards environmental responsibility by extending its Green Fares to long-haul flights. Starting November 30, this initiative encompasses twelve selected flight routes, connecting Lufthansa Group hubs to various global destinations:

  • Zurich – Los Angeles (ZRH – LAX)
  • Frankfurt – Miami (FRA – MIA)
  • Sao Paulo – Zurich (GRU – ZRH)
  • Frankfurt – Bengaluru (FRA – BLR)
  • Munich- Seoul (MUC – ICN)
  • Brussels – Kinshasa (BRU – FIH)
  • Singapore – London (SIN – LHR/LCY)
  • Nairobi – Frankfurt (NBO – FRA)
  • Bangkok – Vienna (BKK – VIE)
  • Hong Kong – London (HKG – LHR/LCY)
  • London – Hong Kong (LHR/LCY – HKG)
  • Paris – Bangkok (CDG/ORY – BKK)

Global airlines are advocating for Sustainable Aviation Fuels (SAF) as an effective strategy to lower carbon emissions without major infrastructure modifications, as many commercial aircraft can operate with SAF. Some airlines have already started using SAF blended with traditional jet fuel.

Lufthansa’s announcement comes after Virgin Atlantic recently completed the world’s first-ever transatlantic flight powered entirely by Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) by a commercial airline. Gulfstream recently announced the first-ever transatlantic flight with a private jet based on SAF. Abu Dhabi Aviation also conducted two flights with Leonardo’s AW139 Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF)-fueled helicopter on Nov. 28 and 30 in Abu Dhabi, setting a regional record in rotary-wing aircraft.

The Green Fares program was launched for European and North African routes in February and has witnessed substantial customer endorsement. Since its inception, over half a million passengers have chosen Green Fares flights, underscoring the public’s growing commitment to eco-friendly travel. This initiative reflects the increasing public desire to travel sustainably, further providing insights for developing sustainable travel portfolios.

The hallmark of the Green Fares is its comprehensive approach to CO2 emission offsetting. It involves using Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) to achieve a 10% reduction in CO2 emissions, with the remaining 90% offset through high-quality climate protection projects. SAF, a ‘drop-in’ fuel mixed with fossil fuel before airport transportation, is a critical component in the Lufthansa Group’s strategy for reducing its carbon footprint. This initiative is part of the group’s ambition to achieve CO2 neutrality by 2050, with an interim goal of halving its net CO2 emissions by 2030 compared to 2019.

The participating airlines in this test phase include Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, and SWISS, offering these routes via their booking sites. In addition to using SAF, this program focuses on fleet modernization, optimizing flight operations, and supporting global climate and weather research.

The Lufthansa Group’s extension of Green Fares to long-haul flights marks a significant stride in sustainable aviation. By blending SAF use with contributions to climate protection projects, the group advances its sustainability goals and caters to the growing global demand for environmentally responsible air travel.

Vincenzo Claudio Piscopo
Latest posts by Vincenzo Claudio Piscopo (see all)

Author

  • Vincenzo Claudio Piscopo

    Vincenzo graduated in 2019 in Mechanical Engineering with an aeronautical curriculum, focusing his thesis on Human Factors in aircraft maintenance. In 2022 he pursued his master's degree in Aerospace Engineering at the University of Palermo, Italy. He combines his journalistic activities with his work as a Reliability Engineer at Zetalab.

Subscribe to AirlineGeeks' Daily Check-In

Receive a daily dose of the airline industry's top stories along with market insights right in your inbox.

Related Stories

New Turkish Airlines Subsidiary Receives Air Operator Certificate

AJet, a proposed low-cost airline owned entirely by Turkish Airlines, has received its Air Operator’s Certificate. This allows the carrier…

How the Game of Blackjack Saved FedEx

The story of FedEx is an incredible one. The founder of the company, Frederick Smith, revolutionized package transport with a…

AirBaltic to Become the Largest European A220 Operator

Airlines and other industry participants are bidding more and more amazing announcements at the Dubai Airshow this year. AirBaltic, an…